Wednesday 7 May 2014

Creative Writing inspired by the Rough Sleep.

Mr Tyrrell's creative writing group have been inspired by our Rough Sleep 2014. Exampla pieces of written work have been chosen for your reading below. Well done year 8.

My name is Jenna and I have no place to call my own. I used to have a home; I used to be happy - not any more. I am a hard-hearted girl, 14 years old, and I was rejected by the system. I hate being mean (it’s not who I am), but you can’t be nice out here. If you’re kind, you don’t eat. It wasn’t always like this. My family wasn’t kind to me, but it was better than this. Hell, anything is better than this. I guess it all started a couple of years ago.
It was my birthday. I wept silently into my arm while my parents hurled abuse and obscenities at one another, their words like blows that prompted each other to swing back. This happened most days; as far as I knew, my life was the norm; I thought everyone had to put up with this. I was so wrong.
I inched down the stairs, trying to listen, to see what the problem was.
“You can’t do anything right, can you? I bet you didn’t even know today was your daughter’s damn birthday!”
My mother’s words echoed in my mind. Birthday! They had remembered!
I thundered down the stairs; my heart rose to the heavens. I burst through the door, expecting a pile of presents. Instead, I had my dad’s old bottle of self-brewed whisky hurled at my head. A shard of glass whistled through my hair, just skimming my head. I turned and fled, running out of the door, leaving behind the strife of my family life, and wishing to start anew. What a fool I was.


So here I am. I sit on the streets, slowly fading away. Most people simply despise me; to them I am a gutter child, feeding on their money. Those who don’t despise me, only offer condolences, not help. This is why I am ending it all- turning out the fading light. I am Jenna; I have been rejected by society. This is my final farewell.
Written by Charles Masters 8D

Before I tell you my story, think about what you do when you wake up in your bed. Do you straight away go on your electronics and consoles? Do you have a lovely breakfast? Or do you wake up thanking God for what you have, and praying for the less fortunate. I don’t think many of you picked option three.
It’s completely different for me. I wake up begging God to let me live another day. I am woken up at around five o’clock, by the sunrise and the ringing of the bell in the giant clock tower at the top of the church. I set out to search for my daily meal straight away, because another homeless man lives around the corner.
Well - I say lives.
He struggles to survive in a giant rubbish bin. We both know that there will always be competition between us. Sometimes he gets food, sometimes I do. When I have found a small, half-eaten sandwich, I feel bad that he is starving. But, after all, it is survival of the fittest.
So all you fortunate people, who feel that their life is the worst it could be, please enjoy it, and remember me.
Written by Patrick Peterson 8D

No comments:

Post a Comment